Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 1 ½ hour
Serves : 4
Course : Breakfast/Main course
Cuisine: Lucknow/Uttar Pradesh
For Nihari Masala : 5 gms Green cardamom 3 gms mace 1 gms All spice 4-5 long pepper 2 gms Stone flower 3 gms black cumin seeds 2 dried galangal ½ gms Vetiver roots 1 inch cinnamon stick 20 gms black pepper 5 gms dried rose petals
For Nihari: ½ cup mustard oil 1 tbsp garlic juice 2 bay leaves 4-5 cloves 2-3 black cardamom 700 gms onion, sliced 1 kg lamb /mutton salt to taste 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste 5 gms red chilli powder 15 gms Turmeric powder 12-15 gms coriander powder 1 ½ cup curd 2 tbsp wheat flour 2 tbsp prepared nihari masala 1 tbsp kewra water water
For Tira : 1 tbsp Prepared nihari masala ½ cup Ghee 1 ½ tbsp Red chilli powder 1 tbsp Kewra water
For Garnish : Coriander leaves Onion chopped Lemon wedges Khamiri roti
- In a deep handi, heat mustard oil and let it smoke. Sprinkle some garlic juice.
- Add bay leaves, cloves, black cardamom, onion and saute well.
- Add lamb salt to taste and ginger garlic paste and roast them well.
- In a bowl, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and curd mix well.
- Add the curd mixture into the handi. Water as required and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the mutton is completely cooked.
For Nihari Masala :
- Heat a pan, add green cardamom, mace, all spice, long pepper, stone flower, black cumin seeds, dried galangal, vetiver root, cinnamon stick, black pepper and dry rose petals. Dry roast till fragrant.
- Transfer the spices in a blender and blend it to a fine powder and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, prepared nihari masala, water as required, black pepper and kewra water mix well. Transfer this slurry into handi.
- Cook till the the gravy slightly thickened.
For Tira :
- Heat a pan, add ghee, nihari masala, red chilli powder and kewra water mix well strain the mixture and transfer it to handi.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, onion chopped, lemon wedges.
- Serve hot with khamiri roti.